/proc/rtas/* vs. /proc/ppc64/rtas/*

Nathan Lynch nathanl at austin.ibm.com
Fri Oct 31 05:25:20 EST 2003

John Rose wrote:
> Currently, the procfs interfaces coded in arch/ppc64/kernel/rtas-proc.c
> are placed at /proc/ppc64/rtas/ on 2.4 and /proc/rtas/ on 2.6.  Is the
> plan to move the 2.6 ones to a "ppc64" dir as well?
>
> The proposed RTAS interface to userland uses this directory.  I'd like to
> know the 2.6 plan before hardcoding file locations in the user-side
> interface code.

What about making /proc/ppc64/rtas a symlink to /proc/rtas for 2.6?
That would provide backwards compatibility with 2.4 for apps that assume
they need to use /proc/ppc64/rtas, while keeping the rtas functions in
/proc/rtas (where they belong, IMO).

Speaking of rtas-proc.c, it looks like a lot of the code in there needs
to be cleaned up, at least in the 2.5 tree.  Many of the functions are
not using copy_to/from_user as they should be, and some of the functions
seem kind of useless to me (e.g. ppc_rtas_progress_read).

Nathan