Network booting a p630 using tftp & dhcpd

VAKKALANKA RAO Sridhar SVakkalankarao at covansys.com
Wed May 21 21:49:59 EST 2003

Hi,

I recently built a "zImage" for the first time on a Pentium III and installed tftp & dhcpd on it. After putting the zImage in the "/tftpboot" directory, I tried to network boot the ppc64 (a p630-6E4) at the firmware level. Here is the firmware output I got:

		STARTING SOFTWARE
		 PLEASE WAIT ...

BOOTP: chosen-network-type = ethernet,10,rj45,half
BOOTP: client  IP = 0.0.0.0
BOOTP: server  IP = 0.0.0.0
BOOTP: gateway IP = 0.0.0.0

BOOTP: wait 60 seconds for Spanning Tree...

BOOTP: S=1   BOOTP R=6
FILE: zImage
BOOTP: read-first-block failed: 0

BOOTP: S=1   BOOTP R=6
FILE: zImage
BOOTP: read-first-block failed: 1

BOOTP: S=1   BOOTP R=6
FILE: zImage
BOOTP: read-first-block failed: 2

BOOTP: S=1   BOOTP R=6
FILE: zImage
BOOTP: read-first-block failed: 3

BOOTP: S=1   BOOTP R=6
FILE: zImage
BOOTP: read-first-block failed: 4
BOOTP ERROR: TFTP of first block failed, ABORT
        !20A80005!

If any of you are familiar with network booting a pSeries machine, please tell me what could have gone wrong. On the server side (Pentium III), I took all precautions for proper configuration (including execution of arp -s <IP addr> <MAC addr> prior to net boot). Is it possible that this happened due to improper "zImage" compilation?

Thanks
Sri