IDE & byte-swapping in 2.4.21

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed May 21 19:09:43 EST 2003

> > There's just enough mapping and redirection & etc. in this code that
> > I haven't quite figured out what the intent was, and therefore, haven't
> > really figured out what the right fix is ... is it in the ide code?
> > In the ppc64-specific code?  Am I the only big-endian platform with
> > this problem? Have other big-endian platforms tested?
>
> No, yes, probably, yes.  IDE works fine on ppc32 (except for the
> problems with CF cards on powerbooks with IDE interfaces with no
> attached drives, but that's another story).

One thing too here is why would you end up using the "mm" versions of
the IOPs ? By default, IDE uses the "pio" versions (the one doing insw/
outsw) and those should work fine for "normal" (read: common PCI)
controllers. Unless you have a special memory mapped controller, like
we have on pmac, you don't need the "mm" versions and the IDE code 'as is'
should not have used them.