PPC64 Compiler bug !!

Anton Blanchard anton at samba.org
Sat Jun 21 07:27:52 EST 2003

> Most programmers don't have a clue about what the compiler can and
> can't do (then).  But, so what?  This doesn't stop them from being
> productive.  :-)  99% of them don't care and don't need to care.
> People generating code for a kernel, need to follow the kernel guide,
> and in that kernel guide, if they MUST use -msoft-float to compile
> their code, it will clearly be stated.  The don't have to understand
> it, they just need to follow simple directions.
>
> If the kernel requires it and the guide doesn't mention it, that is a
> bug in the guide.

I thought there was going to be an easy way to grab compiler flags in
2.5 for out of tree modules (eg something in /lib/modules/...) although
there doesnt seem to be anything (well there is a symlink to the build
directory).

In 2.5 we might remove -mminimal-toc and if we get adventurous we might
look at loading the kernel at -2GB, so correct flags for out of tree
modules will be important.

Im not sure why we even add -mminimal-toc to kernel modules. A module that
overflows the TOC doesnt deserve to live.

Anton