pci <-> device node mapping

linas at austin.ibm.com linas at austin.ibm.com
Thu Jun 19 02:17:47 EST 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 01:18:38AM +1000, Anton Blanchard wrote:

> In theory you could hotplug in cards with pci-pci bridges, like the 4
> port pcnet32. So to make life easy they space them out a lot.

Ahh, OK, I had this crazy idea that ... never mind.  Is there a technical
reason for assigned busid's in contiguous order for bridges on cards?
Why not just grab the 'next unused id' instead of reserving 32 per slot?

I have one RFE, and that is to make sure there is enough info there to
be able to correlate the firmware device location string w/ the pci info.

The other day, I had a hard time matching the id that the LPAR HMC
uses (e.g. P2-I2/E1) with the actual hard drive on a scsi controller
(e.g. /dev/hdg).   Much of the trouble came from trying to match the
entries in /proc/scsi to /proc/pci; I had to compare PCI busids, irq's
and do some clever guesswork to match one to the other.   If there's a
userland tool that does this, we over here aren't aware of it ...

--linas