PPC64 Compiler bug !!

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Wed Jun 18 07:07:16 EST 2003

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 09:28 AM, linas at austin.ibm.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:05:22PM -0700, Mike Stump wrote:
>> On Friday, June 13, 2003, at 10:23 AM, linas at austin.ibm.com wrote:
>> On processors that have specialized registers for the floating point
>> unit, -msoft-float disappears those registers.  This should be
>> documented and certainly can be relied upon.
>
> Well, that belies the point. I think I can safely state that most
> programmers, when faced with an all-integer program, would assume
> that the compiler generated pure-integer code, and thus it would
> never occur to them to study or take interest in any float-point
> flags.

Most programmers don't have a clue about what the compiler can and
can't do (then).  But, so what?  This doesn't stop them from being
productive.  :-)  99% of them don't care and don't need to care.
People generating code for a kernel, need to follow the kernel guide,
and in that kernel guide, if they MUST use -msoft-float to compile
their code, it will clearly be stated.  The don't have to understand
it, they just need to follow simple directions.

If the kernel requires it and the guide doesn't mention it, that is a
bug in the guide.

I understand sympathize with your pain.  :-(  It sounds as if
-mno-implicit-fp matches the programmers expectations from your point
of view.