PPC64 Compiler bug !!

linas at austin.ibm.com linas at austin.ibm.com
Fri Jun 13 08:23:21 EST 2003

Hi David,

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 04:31:54PM -0400, David Edelsohn wrote:
> 	This is not a bug and not producing incorrect code, as others have
> explained.

The most reasonable statement I heard was that on a 64-bit machine,
there wasn't much point in using the fp regs to copy 64-bit data.
I don't know enough about the ppc64 implementation internals to know
whether doing this would cause or avoid any kind of pipeline or
instruction issue stalls.

As to it's being a bug, I've messed around with gcc internals before,
as well as with other compilers, and it sure came as a surprise to me.
I was helping out some linux kernel developers here who were equally
clueless.  Not everybody on the planet can know everything.  Stop
putting me in a defensive posture.

> If you want me to care about email messages from you, do not
> abuse the term "bug" and do not send email with multiple explanation
> points in the subject line.

??!! That's fine!!  I'll punctuate however I want to!! ;-> Feel free
to add me to your 'kill file' !!

-- linas