PPC64 Compiler bug !!

Alan Modra amodra at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 13 07:47:30 EST 2003

Various people have tried to implement patches that prevent floating
point regs being used for moves.  For examples, see

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-06/msg00902.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-10/msg00707.html

Yes, I could also try to fix gcc to not use float regs for integer
moves, but my attempt would also likely be blocked by the current
rs6000 maintainers.  The trouble is that to prevent this problem
re-occurring in kernel code, you'd need to have the options on
*by default*, and this will have some impact on user code that could use
extra registers.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre