PPC64 Compiler bug !!

Peter Bergner peter at bergner.org
Fri Jun 13 06:11:39 EST 2003

linas at austin.ibm.com wrote:
> OK, that's a sane answer.  I first saw this when compiling a custom
> kernel module; I see that the standard linux kernel uses -msoft-flost
> in its standard Makefile, and I will be tracking down this custom code
> shortly.

Using -msoft-float when compiling the kernel and/or kernel modules is a
_requirement_!  We've hit too many user data integrity errors due to
third party modules not being compiled with -msoft-float, which is why
I changed the kernel src to force a panic if we take a FP Unavailable
exception within the kernel.

Peter