What's the diff in UL 1.0 compilers?

vince vince at io.com
Tue Jun 10 01:40:03 EST 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 07:31:03PM -0500, vince wrote:
> >
> > Just what is the difference between the regular gcc compiler
> > in /usr/bin and the one under /opt/cross?
> >
> > After spending 6 hours today trying to build the "cross-compiler"
> > (see previous notes of confusion), I'm wondering why I'm
> > doing this. My customer says he needs the cross-compiler to
> > build 64-bit programs for PPC linux systems. Couldn't this be done using
> > "/usr/bin/gcc -mpowerpc64"? If the answer is yes, why would
> > you ever run the /opt/cross compiler?
>
> This will be done using -m64 later. Gcc was not biarch capable for ppc64
> at the time we did UL1/SLES8.
>
> For now use: /opt/cross/bin/powerpc64-linux-gcc
> as a 32bit -> 64bit cross compiler.

Thanks for the info, Marcus. I notice that the installed cross-compiler
is a 32-bit app. The only way I've gotten the thing to build is as
a 64-bit app. Is this correct? Whenever I try to build the 32-bit
cross-compiler, it fails because ld complains about /usr/lib/libc.so.6
being incompatible. Thus, the only way I've gotten this to build is to
explicitly set CC, LD, NM, etc, to the versions in /opt/cross before
running make. I'm guessing that I'm still screwing up. Perhaps it's
because I'm not rebuilding glibc. I'm trying just to rebuild binutils
and gcc as glibc stumped me. So, I'm probably screwing up my binutils
build as I would guess it's the binutils ld I'm using that has
somehow hard-coded the wrong libc.so.6 into itself.

Heck, if there's anyone in Austin that knows how to build the cross-
compiler, I'll pay you $100 to show me how to do it. I live 2 miles
from IBM and can tunnel into my build machine from home.

Thanks,
--
vince
/* Visit the home of the Rancid Tofu Experience */