What's the diff in UL 1.0 compilers?

vince vince at io.com
Mon Jun 9 10:31:03 EST 2003

Just what is the difference between the regular gcc compiler
in /usr/bin and the one under /opt/cross?

After spending 6 hours today trying to build the "cross-compiler"
(see previous notes of confusion), I'm wondering why I'm
doing this. My customer says he needs the cross-compiler to
build 64-bit programs for PPC linux systems. Couldn't this be done using
"/usr/bin/gcc -mpowerpc64"? If the answer is yes, why would
you ever run the /opt/cross compiler?

BTW, this is a United Linux PPC 1.0 system running a 64-bit
kernel(which I believe is the only kernel available).

Thanks,
Vince