IDE patches for 2.6

VAKKALANKA RAO Sridhar SVakkalankarao at covansys.com
Fri Aug 29 18:18:55 EST 2003

> I just had some write to me that there are some IDE patches that
> haven't gotten applied to the 2.6 ppc64 tree, resulting in a build-break
> when IDE is turned on.  Specifically, they're the patches in
>
> http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc64-dev/200305/msg00016.html

Well, we had known this for some time. We had applied the changes as per the recommendations of http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc64-dev/200305/msg00016.html. That fixed the build break when IDE was turned on for 2.6.0-test. However, that didn't bring the CD drive to life in spite of the fact that the kernel grew by more than 20K.

Today, we received a break. In the past, even though we had turned on the "IDE/ATAPI cdrom support", we had omitted turning on the "PCI IDE chipset support" followed by "Winbond SL82c105 support" & "Generic PCI bus-master DMA support". That was the reason why the CD was not activating. We fixed that today and our CD drive has been working fine for the past few hours now.

Anton (Blanchard),

Recollect that we have been exchanging emails about it. Now, there is no more to do but test the new changes. After completing the code changes recommended by Linas, the following flags must be turned on in the file arch/ppc64/defconfig.

ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
IDE/ATAPI cdrom support
PCI IDE chipset support
Winbond SL82c105 support
Generic PCI bus-master DMA support