TOC overflow on linuxppc64

Mohammed Tajuddin taj.subhani at oracle.com
Fri Aug 29 09:18:51 EST 2003

Hello,

Can someone guide me to fix the problem with TOC overflow on linux
ppc64. After my various attempts building binutils/gcc/glibc following
instructions on linuxppc64.org, I continue to get the same error.

gnu/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc64-linux/3.2.3/crtend.o(.text+0xa): In
function `.__do_global_ctors_aux':
: relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC64_TOC16_DS .toc

I don't have any problems building binutils etc. Somehow I am unable to
get the correct patch although its their on the internet. Following are
the different versions I have tried so far.
a. binutils 2.14, gcc 3.2 and glibc 2.3 with the patch
gcc-20030611-ppc64.diff
b. binutils 2.14, gcc 3.1 and glibc 2.3 with the above patch
c. binutils 2.14, gcc 3.3 and glibc 2.3 with the above patch
d. binutils 2.14, gcc 3.2 and glibc 2.2.5 with the above patch
e. binutils 2.14, gcc 3.2 and glibc 2.3 with all the gcc patches on
linuxppc64.org although there were failures while applying the patch.

Appreciate your feedback with the problem of multiple TOC. Please let me
know if anyone has tried, the exact versions of the different tools to
fix this problem.

Regards,
TAJ