Preparing toolchain on a Pentium III Redhat 7.0

Guy M. Streeter streeter at redhat.com
Wed Apr 16 06:15:15 EST 2003

 The version of gcc that is already on the system makes very little
difference, since you are building a new compiler. gcc 2.96 is a fine
compiler for x86, and is more than sufficient for bootstrapping a new
compiler.

 I'm fairly sure that the toolchain instructions on linucppc64.org are
instructions for building the toolchain on a ppc system. I expect that a
considerable amount of additional work would be necessary to create a
cross-build ppc64 toolchain on an x86 system.
 Additionally, parts of the kernel build process depend on a native
32bit ppc compiler. If you want to build the kernel for ppc64 on an x86
system, you will need to create a 32bit ppc cross-build toolchain, and
modify parts of the kernel Makefiles to invoke it where the 32bit ppc
compiler is expected.
 It will be far easier to build the ppc64 kernel on a ppc system.

--Guy