[Linuxppc-dev] ptrace

Peter Bergner bergner at vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 12 05:26:15 EST 2002

Note: redirecting this to the external linuxppc64-dev mailing list, as this is
       where this discussion belongs...

Anton Blanchard wrote:

>>  The idea/history  behind GETREGS,GETFPREGS,etc  is to allow GDB (or other
>>debugger) a way to retrieve all registers with a single syscall.    Similar
>>calls appear to exist for arm,i386,ia64,sparc,sparc64.
>>

> But not ppc32. Is there a reason for creating this difference in
> the 32 and 64 bit interface other than everyone else does it?
>
> Im keen to keep the 32 and 64 bit environment consistent where possible.

Well, it shouldn't be too hard to add the GETREGS,etc to ppc32! ;)

I'm guessing you're advocating PEEKUSR/GETREGS/... always return
the same amount (for 32-bit apps) regardless of whether we're
running on a ppc32 or ppc64 kernel.  I can accept this.  This means
then that we need PEEKUSR64 and/or GETREGS64/... versions in the
ppc64 kernel that 32-bit apps can use so we don't need to make
multiple syscalls just to read a register value.

Peter