how to make 64bit cross compiler work

Rita Chiu chiubr at muss.cis.mcmaster.ca
Thu Aug 1 13:54:21 EST 2002

I am using a 43p150 machine (32bit machine, uname -m == ppc), and I am
trying to build a gcc compiler that can produce 64bit application.

I follow the instruction on http://www.penguinppc64.org/toolchain.shtml
and used binutils-2.12.1-ppc64.diff to build the binutils and
gcc-20020730-ppc64.diff.gz to build the gcc compiler.  Binutils and gcc
built and installed successfully.  However, everytime I tried to run
this compiler (powerpc64-linux-gcc), no matter what I tried to compile,
it gave me /lib/libc.so.6 error all the time. ("/lib/libc.so.6: could
not read symbols: Invalid operation").

What do I need to make this compiler work on my ppc machine (not
ppc64)?  Or this compiler can only run in a 64bit environment (64bit
kernel? or 64bit glibc?)?  I am confused on what I have just built, and
how to use it.  Please give me some advice.  Thank you very much.

Here is how I invoke the gcc:
/build/usr/local/bin/powerpc64-linux-gcc -v -I/usr/include -B/usr/lib
-L/usr/lib v.c

The error that I got is:
/lib/libc.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The source file of v.c:
int main () { return 0; }