[Linuxppc-users] EPEL repo updates for ppc64le ?

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Thu Jul 2 16:22:39 AEST 2020

On Wed, 01 Jul 2020 18:41:18 -0300
Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho <tuliom at ascii.art.br> wrote:

> Hi Tommi,
>
> "Tommi Sihvo" <Tommi.Sihvo at tietoevry.com> writes:
>
> > On that ppc64le epel repo, for example this package is on quite old
> > level :
> >
> > asn1crypto (0.24.0) (from 3/2019);
>
> As Dan said, EPEL is a Fedora repository.
> It isn't specific to ppc64le, e.g.
> http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/mirrors/redhat/epel/7Server/x86_64/Packages/p/python2-asn1crypto-0.24.0-7.el7.noarch.rpm

generally all content in EPEL should be provided consistently across
the arches, exceptions are usually caused by RHEL add-on repos like
Extras

> > compared to similar x86 package :
> > https://pypi.org/project/asn1crypto/) (1.3.0)
>
> Pypi is not specific to x86 either.  You can also install this
> package on ppc64le:
>
> $ pip3 install --user asn1crypto
> Collecting asn1crypto
>   Downloading
> https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/e9/51/1db4a60049fb7390959be586b6eb743098e6cea3f6b2d3ed9e17fec62ba2/asn1crypto-1.3.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
> (103kB) 100% |████████████████████████████████| 112kB 255kB/s
> Installing collected packages: asn1crypto Successfully installed
> asn1crypto-1.3.0 $ uname -m
> ppc64le
>
> > So was just wondering if there would be possibility to have newer
> > versions for ppc64le as well somehow?
>
> In order to update packages maintained by the Fedora community, you
> need to contact the maintainers.

or become one, it's not difficult and I can help if needed. There is
no magic workforce behind EPEL :-)

If I see right, then some packages are outdated in EPEL, some are
missing. The recommended procedure is to open bugs at
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/, but not all Fedora maintainers are
willing to maintain the EPEL branches. Thus becoming part of the
community is helpful.

		Dan