[Linuxppc-users] PostgreSQL support on IBM Power Systems

Daniel Black daniel at linux.ibm.com
Wed Sep 4 14:08:01 AEST 2019

On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 17:51:34 +0200
Toshaan Bharvani | VanTosh <toshaan at vantosh.com> wrote:

> Yasal,
>

> On 29/08/2019 14:50, Yasal Akgun wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Do you have references for postgresql running on Power (LPAR or
> > full-dedicated)?
>
> We have multiple instances of PostgreSQL v10 and v11, all on Linux ppc64
> and ppc64le. We run this for multiple of our customers.
> All are running in Linux KVM Qemu virtual machines.
> We also have x86_64 to compare with

Nice!

A while ago was helping someone out with a potential customer that showed a CPU large usage in postgresql's PinBuffer function but never really got to the bottom of it without a reproducible load with easy access (and whether this was general postgresql tuning problem).

So while you have access to multiple instances, are there Postgresql functions that show a higher CPU usage in POWER compared to x86 that I could look optimizing (ahead of potential clients asking)? If so can you show a test case to show it?

Performance data gather with:

perf record -g ; perf report -g --no-children --stdio

Coincidently I'm meeting with 2 postgresql developers next week where I could discuss improvements.