[Linuxppc-users] AES NX Coprocessor dm-crypt support

dftxbs3e at free.fr dftxbs3e at free.fr
Mon May 20 11:48:34 AEST 2019

Hello,

I am interested in support for the NX AES Coprocessor as described in
section 11.1 and 25.3 of the POWER9 User Manual (
https://wiki.raptorcs.com/w/images/8/89/POWER9_um_OpenPOWER_v20GA_09APR2018_pub.pdf
) in Linux's dm-crypt.

Currently I am using LUKS on NVMe drives that advertise having 3.2GB/s
read speeds (Samsung) and I am currently capped to 1GB/s with current
on-chip instructions (vcipher etc).

If we consider the advertised performance for the NX Coprocessors and my
dual CPU system, two NX engines per CPU (6.4 * 2 * 2), it would total
for 25.6 Gbps 256bit AES performance which equals 3.2GB/s. That would
allow me to use LUKS over my NVMe drives without performance loss, which
is needless to say, quite awesome.

Another significant benefit of this would be XMR mining, the current
latest POWER miner does not make use of NX coprocessors. (
https://github.com/madscientist159/xmrig ).

How would I go about this? Currently there's a gzip implementation at
https://github.com/abalib/power-gzip - it's cited in the manual.

PS: I'm part of an active community around POWER9 and the Talos II
systems at #talos-workstation on Freenode IRC, feel free to join and
ping JSharp, tpearson, koenigni, awordnot or (myself) dftxbs3e about
this.

Thanks