[Linuxppc-users] OpenMPI deviations & Power hardware bounds checking

Nicole Trudeau nitrud at ca.ibm.com
Sat Jun 10 05:32:30 AEST 2017

Hi everyone,

I monitor user questions that come in about IBM XL compilers for Linux on
Power and 2 things came up on my radar that are not directly related to XL
that the broader Linux on Power team may be able to help answer - feel free
to reply directly on the Stack Overflow or developerWorks links - really
appreciate the help in advance!

   developerWorks Forum: Thanks to Bill Buros for commenting today. Here's
   a summary of the problem "I'm having a problem with openmpi 2.1.0 and
   Abinit. When i run abinit task with np (number of processes) = 1 task
   executes fine. With np = 2 small deviations appear. With larger np task
   ends with an error. I compiled abinit using GNU C/C++/Fortran 4.8.5
   compilers and NVIDIA Cuda 8.0.61"
   Stack Overflow: "Do any CPUs have hardware support for bounds checking?"
   A reply has been given about x86, but no reply about Power yet. Does
   Power support it?

Thanks,
Nicole Trudeau
zSystems Software > zBuild > Compilers