PPC460EX - Machine check in kernel mode - when accessing I/O in user space

Henry Bausley hbausley at deltatau.com
Wed Sep 10 09:34:07 EST 2008

I am trying to give user space application access to I/O.   Previously I
used 2.6.14 with RT Linux and made a kernel device driver with a mmap
routine on a 440EP.

I am converting to a PPC460Ex with 2.6.26-2 with Xenomai the same code
results in a Machine Check in Kernel mode when I attempt to use the code
in user space.

The io memory is in the device tree and with ioremap and I can read and
write to it in kernel mode with

of_address_to_resource(np,0,&res)
piom = (unsigned *) ioremap( res.start, RTL_SHIOM_SIZE);

In addition I tried

	void *map_base, * virtAddr;
	off_t target = ((unsigned int)addr) & ~MAP_MASK;
	int fd;

	if ((fd = open("/dev/mem", O_RDWR | O_SYNC)) == -1) {
		printf("/dev/mem could not be opened.\n");
		exit(1);
	}

	/* Map one page */
	map_base = mmap((void *)target, length, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE,
			MAP_SHARED, fd, target);
	if (map_base == (void *) -1) {
		printf("Memory map failed for address 0x%lx\n", addr);
		exit(1);
	}

In my own driver I did the following for my mmap but it gives an error
as well.

//---------------------------------------
// map a pointer back for user mode usage
//----------------------------------------
static int ubus_mmap(struct file * filp, void * pvoidvma)
{
  int ret;
  struct vm_area_struct * vma = (struct vm_area_struct *)pvoidvma;

  vma->vm_page_prot = pgprot_noncached(vma->vm_page_prot);
  ret = remap_pfn_range(vma,
                        vma->vm_start,
                        UBUS_BASE_ADDRESS >> PAGE_SHIFT,
                        vma->vm_end-vma->vm_start,