problem with stacked module in 2.6.24 kernel build

mfwbm mfwbm at yahoo.co.in
Sat Oct 25 00:55:47 EST 2008

Hi,

I am trying to port some drivers from our previous product
line, based on 2.6.10 kernel to  2.6.24 kernel and is stuck
with  a strange issue:
There are three kernel modules, A.ko, B,ko
and C.ko; both "B" and "C" are using some symbols exported from "A" and
these symbols are defined as "extern" in "B" and "C".
"A" and "B"
are compiled separately, but "C" needs to be compiled as part of kernel
build and is configured as "m" in kernel config.
After bulding vmlinux it fails while making the ko with following error; I tried building the module separately, but no luck:

[root at localhost linux-2.6.24]# make O=../build-test modules
  Using <path>/linux-2.6.24 as source for kernel
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  CALL    <path>/linux-2.6.24/scripts/checksyscalls.sh
<stdin>:1345:2: warning: #warning syscall sync_file_range not implemented
<stdin>:1385:2: warning: #warning syscall fallocate not implemented
  CC [M]  drivers/mtd/devices/ctlm_sf.o
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1 modules
ERROR: "<symbols from A>" [<path>/C.ko] undefined!
make[2]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

In
2.6.10 kernel it prints only a WARNING and the module is getting built;
same is the case for other modules which are built separately in both
kernels.

Any help regarding this is higly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
mfwbm