networking fails to activate

Andy Fleming afleming at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 09:38:05 EST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Pieter <phenning at vastech.co.za> wrote:
> Hi
>
> We have a powerpc (8548) based board. running eldk4.1. the board has
> three ethernet ports using Gainfair ethernet controller v1.2.
>
> If the board powers up with any network cable plugged in, that specific
> network is accessible.
> if the board powers up without network cables connected and a cable is
> plugged in, the network does not become active.
> The kernal makes a log entry stating that the phy is up when the cable
> is plugged in - but the interface is not pingable
> Running ifdown and ifup manually does not result in a pingable interface.
> Neither does running /etc/init.d/network restart
>
> can anyone help me pls.

Check the statistics counters to see if you are getting any bad
packets, or to see if you are getting interrupts.  Several people have
reported that their PHYs have powerdown issues, though I wouldn't
expect the PHY to report the link as up, then.  Make sure that your
dts specifies the correct PHY address for the connected PHY.

What happens if you start up with the PHY connected, bring up the
interface, and *then* disconnect and reconnect the cable (after a
delay)?

Andy