performance: memcpy vs. __copy_tofrom_user

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Oct 14 08:03:30 EST 2008

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>> It doesn't need to be done in non-preemptible sections, if you have a
>> separate per-thread save area for kernel fp/altivec use (and appropriate
>> flags so an FP unavailable handler knows which regs to restore), and you
>> can avoid using it in a preempting context.
>
> Yuck.

Hmm?  It's simple and achieves the desired result (avoiding
non-preemptible regions without unduly restricting the ability to
extract performance from the hardware).

Would it be nicer to avoid FP/Altivec in the kernel altogether?  Sure.
If the benchmarking says that we're better off with it, though, then so
be it.

-Scott