JVM on e500 core

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 08:31:34 EST 2008

On Wednesday 26 November 2008, mike zheng wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using MPC8568 with e500 core. The cross-compiler I am using from
> Freescale - GCC 3_3-e500, glibc 2.3.2 and binutils 2.15.
>
> Any one know if Java Virtual Machine is supported on the e500 core
> processor? Has e500 support been added to GCJ?

As I understand it, gcj is just a new front end which understands both
the java language and its byte code.  It then uses either the byte code
emitter or whatever other architectural emitters already exist for
gcc.  So if gcc supports the e500 then so should gcj.  The support
library is another storym but that is either Java or C so it should work.

But then my understanding may be wrong, and the only real way to
find out it try it.

David