Async DMA question regarding dma_async_memcpy_buf_to_buf

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Nov 25 08:00:50 EST 2008

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:
> Hummm, let me try again, I may be tripping up on my ignorance of the
> kernel.  According to Linux Device Drivers 3, the DMA_TO/FROM_DEVICE
> macros impact when the dma_map/unmap_single functions copy data and do
> cache flushes to ensure cache coherency.  DMA_TO_DEVICE tells
> dma_map_single() to ensure that all data is copied out to memory and cache
> is flushed before doing the transfer and DMA_FROM_DEVICE tell
> dma_unmap_single() to ensure all data is in main memory after the
> transfer.

Right.

> (My understanding is that this is really only important on
> archs that use bounce buffers which I'm not).

It's also important on architectures where DMA is non-coherent (mpc83xx
DMA is coherent).

> So, no as far as "the device" (and I do mean the DMA engine) is concerned,
> the "mapping" of the src and dest pointers make zero difference, the
> hardware doesn't care since it's just acting on raw addresses.  However,
> it does (or at least I think it does) matter to the kernel and making sure
> that the cache doesn't get screwed up.

Right.

> But it sounds like
> you're saying those macros are unimportant.

No, they're very important on certain hardware.

> Can dma_async_memcpy_buf_to_buf() _safely_ be used to DMA either direction
> (CPU <=> peripheral) _without_ cache coherency problems?

Any given memcpy operation involves *both* directions.  Data is copied
out of host memory into the DMA engine's internal buffer (this is the
src mapping), and then it its copied back into host memory at a
different address (this is the dest mapping).

-Scott