Async DMA question regarding dma_async_memcpy_buf_to_buf

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Nov 25 07:16:22 EST 2008

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:
> Yes, I understand the directions and what they apply to, that's obvious
> from the macros themselves.  What I don't understand is if it's safe, from
> a kernel/cache standpoint, to pass to the function a src pointer coming
> _from_ the device and a dest pointer that's going _to_ the device?  In
> other words, can I use this function to _write_ to a DMA slave?  If not,
> there's a functionality missing from the async DMA engine.

What exactly do you mean by "the device"?  if it's the DMA engine, then
that's a meaningless request, by the definition of "source" and
"destination".  If you mean some other device that happens to be
providing a buffer for you to DMA into or out of, that's irrelevant to
the DMA API; it's just memory that happens to live somewhere else (and
possibly not be cached).

-Scott