Using DMA

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Wed Nov 12 08:46:51 EST 2008

Timur Tabi <timur at freescale.com> wrote on 11/11/2008 11:22:06 AM:

> Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:
>
>          soc8349 at e0000000 {
>                  #address-cells = <1>;
>                  #size-cells = <1>;
>                  #interrupt-cells = <2>;
>                  device_type = "soc";
> +                compatible = "simple-bus";
>

> And then add
>
>        { .compatible = "simple-bus", },
>
> to your struct of_device_id array.
>
> --
> Timur Tabi
> Linux kernel developer at Freescale

Yea, that works!  I hit the probe function.  Thanks very much Timur.  I
would never have found that.

Experimentally, I've found that I don't need the "simple-bus"
compatibility in the of_device_id array in the Elo DMA driver.  Any idea
why?

Thanks again for all the help.  If you've got some time, could you explain
why adding the "simple-bus" compatibility to the SOC node of the device
tree was needed.  I _still_ (after fighting with them for over a year)
don't get device trees.

Bruce