i2c driver's probe routine not getting called

Laxmikant Rashinkar lk.atwork at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 14:30:12 EST 2008

Hi,

I have linux-2.6.27.1 running on a MPC8347 based board.

When my freescale I2C driver is insmoded, it calls platform_driver_register() successfully, but the probe routine doesn't get called. AFAIK, this only happens if the device is not known. I could call platform_device_register() to make the device known, but it seems to be the wrong approach. Shouldn't the definitions in my device tree be doing that? Here is the i2c section of my device tree:

                i2c at 3000 {
                        #address-cells = <1>;
                        #size-cells = <0>;
                        cell-index = <0>;
                        compatible = "fsl-i2c";
                        reg = <0x3000 0x100>;
                        interrupts = <14 0x8>;
                        interrupt-parent = <&ipic>;
                        dfsrr;

                        rtc at 68 {
                                compatible = "dallas,ds1374";
                                reg = <0x68>;
                        };
                };

                i2c at 3100 {
                        #address-cells = <1>;
                        #size-cells = <0>;
                        cell-index = <1>;
                        compatible = "fsl-i2c";
                        reg = <0x3100 0x100>;
                        interrupts = <15 0x8>;
                        interrupt-parent = <&ipic>;
                        dfsrr;
                };

Could something be wrong here? Note that the same drivers works fine under linux-2.6.15.4

all help appreciated
thanks
LK