Cross toolchain for ppc405 (virtex-4)

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Thu May 29 16:40:23 EST 2008

I am not sure if this answers your question but to build a 2.6 Linux
kernel using the buildroot uclibc ppc cross compiler you would issue the
following make command

make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-uclibc-

If you were using the crosstools compiler rather than buildroot, the
CROSS_COMPILE value would change.
For older version of GCC it might require a full path to the crosscompiler.

If you are building a BSP in the powerpc tree use ARCH=powerpc

I am fairly certain that when you are building a Linux kernel it is
irrelevant whether you use a glibc or uclibc or ... compiler.
The kernel is not going to link against any standard C library, those
library functions the kernel uses must be coded in the kernel.

However, when you are cross compiling applications for your target it is
a good idea to stick to the same standard C library and associated cross
compiler.

--
Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein