arch/powerpc, Xilinx, and mainline kernel support

Koss, Mike (Mission Systems) mike.koss at ngc.com
Sat May 17 08:06:41 EST 2008

Is there any reason why the mainline 2.6.25.3 (and from what I could see
.4) is missing the files to build for the Xilinx Virtex platform?

Or in other words, I tried to build from 2.6.25.3 for the Xilinx Virtex
under arch/powerpc (because arch/ppc actually crashes when once apps
start to run) and it failed when trying to actually create the zImage. I
hopped over to Xilinx's git server and noticed a bunch of missing
entries in the boot/Makefile and source code to actually support the
complete image build for a Xilinx Virtex PPC405.

When is the Xilinx Virtex support going to be mainline official? I need
to be able to grab a stable kernel and work from there rather than using
the latest -rc that Xilinx is hosting on their git server.

-- Mike