Compiling applications using cross compiler packs libc

Ramkumar J ramkumarj2000 at gmail.com
Mon May 12 19:12:42 EST 2008

Hi All,

I am trying to execute a compiled simple stand-alone application (
TestApp_Memory.c compiled with gcc 4.1.0 cross compiler for ppc [ I have
installed this through crosstool on a Linux PC ] ) on the ML403 Board
instead of using the compiler-set provided by XPS. I tried many options (
like --static to gcc) to make the object file little as produced by the XPS
Compiler Set. I find that when static is provided, the glibc is also packed
up as a part of application though I never make any calls to the glibc
libraries. If I dont provide the --static, the gcc produces a code assuming
the library as shared and hence I get an interp section.
Is there any way to produce the code  with only the application and NOT the
glibc ( As XPS compilers does). Am I missing out something. Is there any
specific flags. I find even nodefaultlib does not work.

For Eg: This is another example I tried

int main()
{
    int a = 5;
    int b = 10;
    int c = 15;

    c = a + b;

    c += 12;

    return 0;
}

With --static compilation, size is about 500K for the above code though the
useful content is too less. objdump reveals unneccessary calls to the libc.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks and Regards,
Ramkumar