mmap problem in device driver and application program.

MingLiu eemingliu at hotmail.com
Fri May 9 04:42:10 EST 2008

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your answer first. However I am very confused. It seems that I understand the memory-mapping-related functions completely wrong. Here comes more questions. > The address you are passing to mmap is where the pointer will be mapped> in virtual address space. You need to determine the DMA memory address> page number down in the actual mmap call.> > int foo_mmap(struct file* filep, struct vm_area_struct* vma)> {> unsigned long dma_addr = 0x03000000;> unsigned long dma_size = 0x00200000;> unsigned long pfn;> > // convert the DMA address to page number> pfn = virt_to_phys(dma_addr) >> PAGE_SHIFT;
Shall I use virt_to_phys? dma_addr is already exactly physical address which is used to initiate DMA transfers.

> // remap our page frame to the vma offset> remap_pfn_range(vma, vma->vm_start, pfn, > dma_size, vma->vm_page_prot);> }> > Change the address parameter from 0x03000000 to 0:> > lut_mem_base = (unsigned int *) mmap(0, LUT_SIZE_IN_BYTE, > PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, fd, 0);
Previously I used "remap_page_range(vma, vma->vm_start, physical_addr, vm_size, vma->vm_page_prot)" in the device driver, where physical_addr is 0x03000000. In the application program, I used "lut_mem_base = (unsigned int *) mmap(0, LUT_SIZE_IN_BYTE, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, fd, 0);". I think it is correct but it doesn't work. I heard that in the new kernels, remap_page_range is not supported any more. However when I compile the driver, nothing was shown to complain that. I am using 2.6.10 kernel. Any hint for this?

Thank you for your help to make me understand.

BR
Ming