ppc platform for AMCC-440EPx - ELDK to the rescue

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 27 09:22:47 EST 2008

In message <20080326130837.762DBDE2FB at ozlabs.org> you wrote:
> I finally resolved my nightmare of getting linux-2.6.24/5... to work
> on my AMCC-440Epx - Sequoia spinoff board. Following a clue I derived
> from a reply from Wolfgang Denx, I went to the DENX Engineering site
> where I discoved and downloaded the ELDK for the ppc_4xxFP. the ELDK
> uses the ppc platform instead of the powerpc platform.  FINALLY the

This is not exactly correct. Actually it supports both.

> Also, I fail to see what the DTS virtualization layer of the hardware
> buys us. When debugging, it's so much harder to use than the ppc
> platform's straight forward and standard methodologies.  I can't
> understand to goal to eliminate the ppc platform, especially given
> the fact that DENX's ELDK is still using it with Linux 2.6.24.2 !!

You miss the fact that the ELDK has full  support  for  arch/powerpc,
and  that  some  board configurations in our kernel (for example, all
MPC5200 based ones)  are  available  in  arch/powerpc  configurations
only.

But then - what's the difference? All it takes is a  redefinition  of
the ARCH envrionment variable in your shell...

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I've got a bad feeling about this.