Xilinx Temac link detect

Koss, Mike (Mission Systems) mike.koss at ngc.com
Sat Mar 8 01:29:35 EST 2008

Here's a snippet from a program I use to debug an ethernet driver that I
have using ioctl's. The ethernet ioctl interface is slightly different
from a "normal" ioctl in that it uses sockets and not a file descriptor.
The ioctl's I use are added to the ioctl interface in the driver, using
the defined device-specific range (that was supposed to disappear in
2.5.x or 2.6.x). With this I read/write my phy register's to test out
the interface between my TEMAC and my PHY.

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <net/if.h>
#include <linux/sockios.h>

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
   int   driver_fd = -1;
   int   cmd       = 0;
   int   res;
   char* buffer    = NULL;
   struct ifreq ifr;

   if (argc < 3)
   {
      printf ("Usage %s <devname> <ioctl>\n", argv [0]);
      exit (1);
   }

   driver_fd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
   if (driver_fd == -1)
   {
      printf ("Could not open %s: %s\n", TEMAC_DRIVER_NAME, strerror
(errno));
      exit (1);
   }

   memset(&ifr, 0, sizeof(struct ifreq));
   strcpy(ifr.ifr_name, argv[1]);

   cmd = atoi (argv [2]);
   if (SIOCDEVPRIVATE + 3 == cmd) {
      if (argc != 4) {
         printf("usage %s <devname> 35315 <phy reg>\n", argv[0]);
         exit(1);
      }

      ifr.ifr_ifindex = atoi(argv[3]);
   }
   if (SIOCDEVPRIVATE + 4 == cmd) {
      if (argc != 5) {
         exit(1);
      }

      ifr.ifr_ifindex = atoi(argv[3]) << 16;
      ifr.ifr_ifindex |= atoi(argv[4]);
   }
   printf("Performing ioctl %d:\n", cmd);

   res = ioctl(driver_fd, cmd, &ifr);

   if (res == -1)
   {
      printf ("Error from %d: %s\n", driver_fd, strerror (errno));
      exit (1);
   }

   return 0;
}