RAW Sockets - HDLC or Ethernet

Norbert van Bolhuis nvbolhuis at aimvalley.nl
Fri Mar 7 18:53:29 EST 2008

I guess this is what a raw packet socket is supposed to do.
It's not a bug it's a feature.
Can't you somehow recognize your own packet (and skip it) ?

Btw. this question can probably be better addressed in
comp.os.linux.development.system

---
N. van Bolhuis.

Russell McGuire wrote:
> Anyone,
>
> Yet another mysterious question, at least to me.
>
> I have written to simple utilities to send and receive a file / data through
> a newly created driver, HDLC using an MPC8360E.
> Though I doubt this question is limited to that specific HW.
>
> The main question is that everything I send though device HDLC0 I can
> immediately read from HDLC0 even though logically there is no connection
> there. It as if the kernel is immediately allowing me to read from the same
> device, what a separate application just wrote.???
> HOW CAN THIS BE?
>
> Details:
> I have two applications: send and receive.  (pseudo code as follows)
>
> Send opens a socket(PF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW, htons(ETH_P_ALL)).
> And binds it (AF_PACKET, ETH_P_HLDC, if_index(hdlc0))
>
> Receive opens a socket to the same device
> socket(PF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW, htons(ETH_P_ALL))
> bind(AF_PACKET, ETH_P_ALL, if_index(hdlc0)
>
> Note they are opening the same device.
>
> Now if I send anything through the send application, I immediately receive
> it via the receive application??
> Note, entirely separate processes!
>
> Note, there is NO hardware loopback, this should be a dead end, and I should
> get nothing back at least as far as HW is concerned.
>
> What am I missing, that causes all my TX data to show up immediately in the
> RX app? Note I have verified my HDLC drier is not actually receiving
> anything, so is there something in the kernel that is bridging the TX / RX
> paths, or am I just missing the function of this? If so how can I use RAW
> mode, while not mixing this, or at least keeping them separate in the
> applications?
>
> -Russ

This message has been scanned for viruses and is believed to be clean