Unresolved symbols while inserting a module in linux

ravi.rao at rflelect.com ravi.rao at rflelect.com
Thu Mar 6 02:01:44 EST 2008

Hi,
    In 2.6 kernel All the functions that are being used by a module should
have been exported by the provider..
For Example If your driver module say foo.ko wants to use function x ( )
defined in bar.c, then in bar.c the function x () had be exported using
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(x); If not when you try to insmod foo.ko U will get
unresolved symbol x.
There should be something similar in 2.4..
 Thanks,
Ravishankar Govindarao
RFL Electronics Inc.
E-mail : Ravi.Rao at rflelect.com
Voice: 973.334.3100 Ext. 233
Fax: 973.334.3863

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE
This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain confidential and/or
legally privileged information.  The Information is intended only for the
use of the individual or entity named on this e-mail .  If you are not the
distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of
this transmitted Information is strictly prohibited.  Further, if you are
not the intended recipient, please notify us by return e-mail and delete
the Information promptly.

"mahendra varman" <mahendravarman15 at gmail.com>
Sent by: linuxppc-embedded-bounces+ravi.rao=rflelect.com at ozlabs.org
03/05/2008 09:44 AM

linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org, linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org
cc

Subject
Unresolved symbols while inserting a module in linux

Hi all

For a customised hdlc card we have written hdlc driver.
we need to compile it as a module in linux 2.4.25 version
Thru Config.in we have defined the customised driver as tristate and
selected 'M' in menuconfig for that driver
The other dependencies generic hdlc driver, cisco , framedelay , ppp
etc are compiled as configured within the kernel itself
By giving make modules we have produced driver.o file

When I insert the driver.o using insmod iam getting the following
unresolved symbols
Even though the dependencies have been configured with the kernel
itself iam getting these unresolved symbols

If we use modprobe driver.o (or) modprobe driver it is reporting
driver:applet not found..

Help me to produce a module with its dependencies also to solve the
unresolved symbols error

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------- unresolved
symbols after insmod

Using driver.o
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_byte
insmod: unresolved symbol __netdev_watchdog_up
insmod: unresolved symbol schedule_timeout
insmod: unresolved symbol __kfree_skb
insmod: unresolved symbol alloc_skb
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_register_driver
insmod: unresolved symbol register_hdlc_device
insmod: unresolved symbol unregister_hdlc_device
insmod: unresolved symbol __release_region
insmod: unresolved symbol kmalloc
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_free_consistent
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_free_consistent
insmod: unresolved symbol __save_flags_ptr
insmod: unresolved symbol ioremap
insmod: unresolved symbol cpu_raise_softirq
insmod: unresolved symbol free_irq
insmod: unresolved symbol __out_of_line_bug
insmod: unresolved symbol iounmap
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_alloc_consistent
insmod: unresolved symbol iomem_resource
insmod: unresolved symbol kfree
insmod: unresolved symbol strlen
insmod: unresolved symbol request_irq
insmod: unresolved symbol netif_rx
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_unregister_driver
insmod: unresolved symbol skb_over_panic
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_set_master
insmod: unresolved symbol hdlc_ioctl
insmod: unresolved symbol jiffies
insmod: unresolved symbol __copy_tofrom_user
insmod: unresolved symbol __restore_flags
insmod: unresolved symbol softnet_data
insmod: unresolved symbol __request_region
insmod: unresolved symbol printk
insmod: unresolved symbol __cli