linux-headers (powerpc v. ppc)

Ron Sass rsass at uncc.edu
Wed Mar 5 13:34:06 EST 2008

I hope this is to the right list... the recent discussion of
retiring ppc arch encouraged me to ask.

Ultimately, I'm trying to build a native PPC 405 compiler (i.e
Canadian cross).  I've got a crosstool's generated cross-compiler
and I have glibc and a native bintools on my 405 root filesystem.

What I'd like to do is:

make ARCH=ppc headers_check
make ARCH=ppc INSTALL_HDR_PATH=dest headers_install

but that's not supported in the ppc tree.

So my question is, can I just ...

make ARCH=powerpc headers_check
make ARCH=powerpc INSTALL_HDR_PATH=dest headers_install

and then switch to ppc when I build the kernel?

I suspect it will work but just don't know if there is a
subtle difference that will come back to haunt me at
run-time.

Ron