ML403 Linux port questions

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Mon Mar 3 09:58:47 EST 2008

    I have a two part series that should be appearing in Circuit Cellar
either this month or next,
that is targeted very close to what you are looking for.
    You have to be a masochist to try to build linux kernels under cygwin.
    It is purportedly doable - I have never succeeded, but very painful.

    If you must work under windows - I know alot of engineers do, then I
would highly recommend colinux.
    www.colinux.org. It will give you linux and windows running
concurrently on the same machine with
    very little pain, no additional cost, there is a small amount of
grief getting windows-colinux networking functioning,
    that is not critical but it is nice. Getting X windows running is
substantially more effort and is very nice - but completely
    unnecescary. Colinux is a much easier and lighter weight solution
than virtualization.

    That said I would highly recommend you seriously consider doing
linux development without windows.
    The targets you are going to be developing for are going to run linux.
    The initial learning curve might be steeper, but the payoff is
greater. Everything you learn on the development
    side will apply to the target.
    There are bazillions of Live CD's you can try. I would highly
recommend Ubuntu.
    Its alot like windows - except mostly friendlier and it works.

    Personally, I went the roll your own method for creating a
development environment.
    I have no experience with ELDK.
    Buildroot and many other "environments" dictate a very specific way
of working.
    They guide you to a working solution faster but I find myself
fighting against their
    limitations all too soon.
    Unfortunately crosstools has not been updated in a while, and does
not officially support
     uClibc (it does support glibc). uClibc is very appealing for
limited resource systems.
    There is a crosstools-ng project, but it does not have ppc support.

    It would be really really nice (hint) if Xilinx would get their
microblaze compiler code
    into the gcc distribution.