Sequoia build with KDBG

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Mar 1 09:51:37 EST 2008

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:31:10 -0500
Steve Heflin <sheflin at newagemicro.com> wrote:

> At 04:35 PM 2/29/2008, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:34:09 -0500
> >Steve Heflin <sheflin at newagemicro.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I attempted to enable the kernel debugger on my Sequoia board, and I
> > > get build errors:
> > >   /linux-2.6.25-rc3/arch/powerpc/kernel/setup_32.c:254: undefined
> > > reference to `set_debug_traps'
> > >   /linux-2.6.25-rc3/arch/powerpc/kernel/setup_32.c:259: undefined
> > > reference to `breakpoint'
> > >
> > > Josh: I assume you have used the kernel debugger with your 44x
> > > boards, how did you build it?
> >
> >Why would you assume that?  I've never used kgdb on arch/powerpc
> >kernels, nor have I ever tried to build it.
>
> I assumed that because I've always needed a debugger when
> implementing kernel level components. Since you've implemented kernel
> level support for several 44x processors, I just assumed that you
> needed kdbg at some point. So you're saying that your additions

Nope.  I did the poor man's method of manually poking characters out of
the serial port.

> worked right out of the gate and you never needed a debugger?  You're my hero!

I largely stood on the shoulders of those that came before me.  Porting
has become trivial lately, mostly due to the collective work lots of
people have put in.

That all being said, I'm not opposed to having kgdb work on 4xx.  I
just have never personally looked at it yet.  Patches welcome :).

josh