how to allocate 9MB of memory in kernel ?

Marco Stornelli marco.stornelli at coritel.it
Tue Jul 22 19:47:00 EST 2008

> On Tuesday 22 July 2008, Misbah khan wrote:
>> I am getting kernel panic while trying these as suggested by you ,the
>> following points will elaborate my concern :-
>> i am allocating memory using vmalloc and remaping to the SDRAM area as :-
>>
>> buf_area = vmalloc(sizeof(circularbuffer_S));
>>         if(!buf_area)
>>         {
>>                 printk(KERN_ALERT"vmalloc failed \n");
>>                 return -1;
>>         }
>>
>>         buf_area = (circularbuffer_S *)ioremap(7700000,900000);
>>         if(!buf_area)
>>         {
>>                 printk(KERN_ALERT"ioremap failed \n");
>>                 return -1;
>>         }

Misbah I suggest you, before to write in a Linux mailing list, to read
Understanding the Linux kernel, Linux device drivers, Understanding the
Linux virtual memory manager and so on, to study them very well, to
think well about your problem and then ask for help in a mailing list.

Regards,

--
Marco Stornelli
Embedded Software Engineer