No filesystem could mount root

mahendra varman mahendravarman15 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 00:00:13 EST 2008

Hi all

We are porting linux 2.6.24 on a board with powerpc processor and with AMD
79C972 ethernet chip

Thru ramdisk I can able to boot the board and i can do the ifconfig eth0
up..

When I try to boot the board with nfs iam getting the following

NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
RPC: Registered udp transport module.
RPC: Registered tcp transport module
List of all partitions:
No filesystem could mount root, tried:  ext3 ext2 msdos ntfs
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(1,0)
Rebooting in 180 seconds..

1. In the kernel the nfs related configs are enabled properly
2. The nfs server and file system is proper( I have mounted and checked the
nfs server & file system thru another working setup)
3. The ethernet driver  pcnet32.c  under drivers/net  is okkk it seems becaz
it is working when i boot the board thru ramdisk

Please shed me some light where to look and what may be the reason iam
getting the above error when i boot thru NFS

Thanks in advance