increase lowmem value for ppc

Marco Stornelli marco.stornelli at coritel.it
Thu Jul 17 22:05:56 EST 2008

Ruksen INANIR ha scritto:

> Thanks for your comments.
> I tried the highmem option but one of the device drivers does not
> support highmem, so it did not work.

Strange....you can try to look at it, it could be only some GFP flag.

> the only choice for me is to increase the lowmem to 1520 MB. the maximum
> lowmem value i reached succesfully is 1503 MB. but any value more than
> 1503 results kernel not able to load kernel modules.

Mmmm....have you tried a stress test? It sounds like a bit strange that
the kernel works well with this mapping but without other modification.

> Upgrading to a 2.6.x kernel may solve the problem, but it needs a lot of
> effort. Does 2.6.x kernel support 2G physical memory?

It's the same. Some architecture have 36-bit addressing, but I don't
know if the latest kernel has the support for this feature for powerpc.