increase lowmem value for ppc

Marco Stornelli marco.stornelli at coritel.it
Thu Jul 17 21:35:21 EST 2008

Ruksen INANIR ha scritto:

> Is there any side effects of changing the address splitting?

Yes, in this way the application address space is smaller than normal.
Some big applications (for example same dbms) might not work. Usually
with 2G/2G most of the applications work well.

> What should i change for 2G/2G splitting? should i shift the kernel start?
> Thanks

Yes in advanced options of the kernel menu, but sometimes it's not easy.
  Sometimes ago I had to do the same thing but I have to change the
kernel code because some operations were hard-coded. Be careful because
it's not an easy operation. However I'd suggest you to use the highmem,
the memory performance are worse than direct memory mapping, but usually
it's not a problem because the overhead is low.