linux boot sequence

Siva Prasad sprasad at bivio.net
Thu Jul 17 04:34:54 EST 2008

Rami,

Please make sure to copy the list as well.

OF - Open firmware. I am not sure which version of Linux kernel you are using, and which boot loader. Lately it is all OF based, however it is supported in the form of device tree blob/structure. For more information read booting-without-of.txt in Documentation/powerpc.

U-Boot updates the detected memory in the dtb you loaded, so that when kernel reads it, correct information is provided.

There is no auto-detect option in kernel. You need to write your own code at the exact location it needs to identify the size of memory. Typically this is passed to the kernel either through DTB or kernel arguments.

Good Luck.

- Siva