insmod: unresolved symbol XIo_In32/XIo_Out32

Juliana Su js084 at bucknell.edu
Sat Jul 12 05:11:06 EST 2008

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! I am new to creating loadable kernel modules, so
I hope you do not mind some more questions... How can I get the XIo_*
helper routines to compile into the kernel or export them with
EXPORT_SYMBOL( )? In my c file (my driver file from which I create the
object file), I made sure to include xio.h, which is where XIo_In32 and
XIo_Out32 are defined (see below section from xio.h).

/************************** Function Prototypes
******************************/

/* The following functions allow the software to be transportable across
 * processors which may use memory mapped I/O or I/O which is mapped into a
 * seperate address space such as X86.  The functions are better suited for
 * debugging and are therefore the default implementation. Macros can
instead
 * be used if USE_IO_MACROS is defined.
 */
#ifndef USE_IO_MACROS

/* Functions */
u8 XIo_In8(XIo_Address InAddress);
u16 XIo_In16(XIo_Address InAddress);
u32 XIo_In32(XIo_Address InAddress);

void XIo_Out8(XIo_Address OutAddress, u8 Value);
void XIo_Out16(XIo_Address OutAddress, u16 Value);
void XIo_Out32(XIo_Address OutAddress, u32 Value);

#else

/* The following macros allow optimized I/O operations for memory mapped I/O
 * Note that the SYNCHRONIZE_IO may be moved by the compiler during
 * optimization.
 */

#define XIo_In8(InputPtr)  (*(volatile u8  *)(InputPtr)); SYNCHRONIZE_IO;
#define XIo_In16(InputPtr) (*(volatile u16 *)(InputPtr)); SYNCHRONIZE_IO;
#define XIo_In32(InputPtr) (*(volatile u32 *)(InputPtr)); SYNCHRONIZE_IO;

#define XIo_Out8(OutputPtr, Value)  \
    { (*(volatile u8  *)(OutputPtr) = Value); SYNCHRONIZE_IO; }
#define XIo_Out16(OutputPtr, Value) \
    { (*(volatile u16 *)(OutputPtr) = Value); SYNCHRONIZE_IO; }
#define XIo_Out32(OutputPtr, Value) \
    { (*(volatile u32 *)(OutputPtr) = Value); SYNCHRONIZE_IO; }

#endif

I thought that, by including xio.h, XIo_In32 and XIo_Out32 would be
taken care of, but that is probably a novice assumption of mine...

-Juliana