booting an ML405

John Linn John.Linn at xilinx.com
Wed Jul 9 00:58:27 EST 2008

Hi Lorenzo,

I'm assuming you're trying to use the reference design bit stream for
the ML405 that we have had out on the http://git.xilinx.com site?

Since the bootstrap loader is working, the UART appears to be OK.
Assuming you have the kernel configuration right with the 8250 driver
and the console, it sounds like something else must be wrong and you're
headed in the right direction with using the __log_buf.

The __log_buf should tell you if the kernel is really hung, or if it
booted and you just don't have a console working.

The ml405_defconfig sets up the kernel configuration so it should work
on the board just building it for the reference design.

One thing I notice is the available ram looks wrong to me for the ML405
based on my notes.

> avail ram:     005B0000 80000000

I had a problem once with the kernel and I found the DDR_SIZE in
xparameters.h (arch/ppc/platforms/40x/xparameters) was not right, and
this does hang the kernel in my experience.

My old kernel output shows

> avail ram:     00519000 04000000

Hope that might help,
John