booting an ML405

Lorenzo T. Flores lorenzo at alphagolf.com
Tue Jul 8 11:37:20 EST 2008

David,

Thanks for the response. I searched a little more and found that many
people recommend looking through __log_buf to see if info is getting
printed to memory. Below I've added the printouts I get both before and
after the system hangs. Also, I'm not using Uartlite. I'm using 16550;
however, I have created the same design with Uartlite and adjusted the
console parameter to reflect that change. In both instances the kernel
hangs. You're right too, this is common...I just need to figure out how
to read out this __log_buf address:

If I stop the processor after it hangs:

XMD% mrd 0xc0259fa4 10
C0259FA4:   3C353E5B
C0259FA8:   20202020
C0259FAC:   302E3030
C0259FB0:   30303030
C0259FB4:   5D204C69
C0259FB8:   6E757820
C0259FBC:   76657273
C0259FC0:   696F6E20
C0259FC4:   322E362E
C0259FC8:   32352D72

If I stop it before it hangs:
XMD% mrd 0xc0259fa4 10
C0259FA4:   00000000
C0259FA8:   00000000
C0259FAC:   00000000
C0259FB0:   00000000
C0259FB4:   00000000
C0259FB8:   00000000
C0259FBC:   00000000
C0259FC0:   00000000
C0259FC4:   00000000
C0259FC8:   00000000

according to my system.map file __log_buf is located at C0259FA4

If I cut off the 0xc0000000:

XMD% mrd 0x259fa4 10
  259FA4:   FFFFFFFF
  259FA8:   FFFFFFFF
  259FAC:   FFFFFFFF
  259FB0:   FFFFFFFF
  259FB4:   FFFFFFFF
  259FB8:   FFFFFFFF
  259FBC:   FFFFFFFF
  259FC0:   FFFFFFFF
  259FC4:   FFFFFFFF
  259FC8:   FFFFFFFF

Any insight as to how to figure out what these values mean using XMD
would be great. Or if you guys have any other recommendations for using
the JTAG (not with XMD) I would greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Lorenzo