83xx HDLC Driver Dev - Multiple PHYs?

Russell McGuire rmcguire at videopresence.com
Wed Jan 30 16:10:04 EST 2008

All,

I have gotten my HDLC driver up to the point where it can register itself
with the Linux kernel. However now I am faced with a dilemma and style
question, that is probably best answered by you driver developers that have
more experience.

I am putting support for multiple PHY's into the HDLC driver, but after
converting it to use the of_device tree, and inserting a UCC at 5000 for a
single UCC HDLC driver, it occurred to me that if I insert more devices
(UCC at 6000, UCC at 7000, UCC at 8000) that the driver will attempt to load multiple
times.

So here is the question.

Solution 1:
Should I develop the system to have a single ucc at xxxx entry in the
platform.dts file and have a field(s) like phy-count=<4>, to support
multiple devices? And have each instance of the module contain private data
for one UCC, interrupt handling, etc...

OR

Solution 2:
Is there a way to have a module know if it has already been loaded, so it
doesn't insert multiple times and then play the rest like Solution 3?

OR

Solution 3:
Have phy-count=4; defined in the driver header, or a module parameter, and
have a single module instance of the driver itself responsible for creating
a single private data structure and setting up multiple UCC's and PHY's?

This also feeds into a question on SET_NETDEV_DEV. How does it react to
multiple net devices attached to a single base driver?

-Russ