SET_NETDEV_DEV -> 83xx HDLC Driver??

Russell McGuire rmcguire at videopresence.com
Wed Jan 30 10:04:41 EST 2008

Andy,

/drivers/net/fec_8xx

Doesn't use the call, though I imagine it is legacy or only for older
boards.

Thanks for pointing me at the newer stuff, guess I had a brain cramp and
didn't think to look there. Also makes much more sense now that the
pdev->dev is not a PCI device but a Platform device.

One question, since you've probably got more experience with this than I do.

The gianfar, and ucc_geth drivers are not modules. Is there a problem with
using these driver _probe_ functions in a module style driver? OR should I
just change my driver over to be a platform style?

As far as I can tell the HDLC driver I am trying to create for the 83xx is
going to be somewhat similar to the Ethernet driver. Only I don't want it
loaded as part of the kernel.

-Russ